Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Abatement

Did you know that you pay an excise tax on your vehicle each year for the entire calendar year? If you transfer ownership of the vehicle and either cancel or transfer the plates to another car, you may be entitled to an abatement (refund) of the balance of the tax paid for the year through December. Also, active military personnel stationed in Massachusetts whose domicile is in another state are exempt from Massachusetts excise tax.

To learn more about your options, view the Motor Vehicle and Trailer Excise Handout (PDF)

To submit an application:

  1. Fill out the Motor Vehicle Excise Abatement Application (PDF)
  2. Where is the car? Provide documentation proving that there has been a transfer of ownership (Bill of Sale, Signed Title, New Registration, etc).
  3. Where are the plates? Provide a plate return receipt from the RMV or a registration showing the plates are on another vehicle owned by you.

You may submit applications online, in-person, or mail to:

Assessors Office

20 Williams Street

Longmeadow, MA 01106

Please note, by submitting an applications, it does not stay the collection of your excise. Failure to pay the excise when due may subject you to interest, charges, and collection action.

Online Submission Form